surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Add it up!


In my building, on several floors, is Centrelink (for all those playing at home outside Austral-ya, it’s a government agency for welfare, unemployment and social security payments etc).

I have posted before about some of these weirdos – I’m talking about the people that work there, not the people that need help.

In recent weeks I have found another strange thing.

Most of the people that work there carry around an access card to enter the offices – fair enough. But also included in the little clear pouch attached to their belts, are calculators.

And this is not a one-off occurrence – I think nearly all of them carry these calculators.

So the question is – WHAT THE FUCK FOR?

Do they walk around the office and have their calculators ready just in case of a mathematical emergency? Are they that desperate or stupid that they must carry a calculator on them at all times? I can't work it out.

I would however like to run up to one of them one day screaming –

“Quick! What’s the square root of 1,352,122? Quick! Quick! Quick! I need the answer now god damn it! Fucking hurry up!”

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

LOL!

I thought that too but they are actually like little code calculator things. When they log into a computer it generates a random code that they use to sign in.

I don't get quite how it works, but that is what they are :)

I can't remember how I found that out, but there you go :)

12:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I think D'Jen's correct. It's probably a third-party security device. Your bank can give you one too for use when you log on to internet banking.

Initially I thought your local Centrelink office was populated by clones of the Milton Waddams character in Office Space; only this time it was calculators, not red staplers. :)

1:10 pm  
Blogger Bo Bo said...

Hahaha, I thought the same thing. I‘ve had to work with the cunts due to my line of work. The calculators give them random pin numbers which enables them to log onto their computers. I still give them shit for carrying a calculator around.

2:35 pm  
Blogger Splade said...

1162.80781

3:05 pm  
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

It was probably from a company give-away. And they treasure their gifts soooo much.

4:22 am  
Blogger Enny said...

Just another person telling you it's a security thing!

Mumsy had one when she worked there and I paid her calculator out - to be fair, is a finance type person :o)

9:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home