surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Scary

Ever been absolutely shit-scared and elated all within a nanosecond?

That was me yesterday.

As I headed out to surf alone on a stretch of beach with not a single soul in the water as far as I could see, and the last words said to me was “watch out for any sharks”, I was a bit apprehensive about paddling out the back for a surf.

But I paddled out and watched every shadow and piece of seaweed.

After a few waves I began to relax, then all of a sudden, out of nowhere and only 10 feet in front of me came three dark figures in the water, then 3 fins popped up out of the water. I shit myself, then when the dolphins popped their heads up to have a look at me, was completely elated and relieved. It all happened in a split second.

They came within 6 feet of me which was pretty cool. I just wish they hadn’t scared the crap out of me to come say “hi”... lucky I was wearing my brown boardshorts…

4 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Same thing happened to me in Ballina. I was on a boogey board when I saw the fins. I just sat there and cried like a big girl. Then I saw they were dolphins I've never been so happy in all my life.

Still got the fuck out of the water though. :P

11:11 am  
Blogger Max said...

oooh yes funny lil buggers those dolphins I'm sure they have a little joke to each other before they come up out of the water.
"Hey Dolph watch me scare that crap out of this surfercam guy....(up comes a fin... SC shivers goes rigid an pops a little turtle in his brown boardies) hahahahah Dolph cackles"

good thing they swim really differently which makes em easier to pick.
one fin out of the water going in a playful arc forward into the water its a lovely dolphin so you can ask it for some surfing tips and catch a wave together.

you get two fins, one dorsal and one tail fin come up together and menacingly snake through the water and its time to pick up your board and kit and run and dont stop till you hit the pub.

unless of course the dolphin turns on its' side to play tricks like one did to me in Indian Ocean and you get its' pectoral and tail fin looking exactly like a shark. Even worse when you've just seen a tiger shark that was nearly twice as big as you the day before.

cheeky buggers

4:40 pm  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh my Gawd!! Sary stuff, and exciting stuff all at the same time!!!

9:52 pm  
Blogger Brian said...

Had similar feelings and rushes some moons ago. Was body surfing with two others down Bawley Point. We were out side waiting for the perfect set; there were a lot that day. Long story short, the fins between us and the beach turned out to be sharks.
We did not know that until reaching land in record time, the buggers were actually inside the white water chasing a school of food, not us as it turned out.

7:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home