surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Italy Post No.2

Best Meal – Florence – veal with whole-grain mustard sauce and asparagus. Every single mouthful was followed by “oohhh” and “ahhh”. The meal that night was over $170 for 2 adults and 1 monkey, but well worth it.

Best Surprising Meal – Biella – a few hours before my mate’s wedding, a few of us stumbled around the little town looking for a restaurant. My mate walked into what an only be described as ‘someone’s living room’ but was actually a ‘restaurant’. The owner/chef/waiter could speak about as much English as we could Italian. So with no menus and a major communication breakdown, all 5 of us ended up in the kitchen pointing at what we wanted for lunch.

What came out were several different types of outstanding pastas. And cheap – cheaper than any Italian restaurant in Australia and much better. Oh yeah, the hardcore techno-music playing in the background was an added bonus…

Best Beer – Santa Margherita – a one-litre stein of Nastro Azzurro that cost me about A$24…. (and no, I didn’t even get to keep the stein…)

Best Wine – Rome – some Italian chardonnay that the waiter (an Aussie girl from the Hunter Valley) recommended. Was soooo good. And was very impressed when she ‘accidentally’ poured too much into my glass and gave me a big smile to go with it…

2 Comments:

Blogger Debstar said...

For me the best meal was in Poppi a small town about 1 hour out of Florence high up in the mountains.
It was veal in a sauce strongly flavoured with rosemary and peppercorn. In fact I did not have one mediocre meal the whole time I was in Tuscany. Wish I was back there right now.....

9:19 pm  
Blogger Doll Face said...

I'm trying to book my trip now.

Sydney - Hong Kong - Paris - Torino - Cinque Terre - Florence - Positano - Dubrouvnik - Split - Prague - Paris - Hong Kong (not stopping this time) - home.... All in 1 month!

I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

I must admit, Florence was the place that least impressed me when I was last in Italy, Venice was my dream but I did remove myself from reality and expected an affair with Casanova *dreams*

PS It's Miss Natalie - I needed to change everything online.

8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home