surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I Miss America




For those of you who don’t know, I moved to the US, Dallas Texas to be precise, straight after finishing high school in Oz.

I was there for 2 years and absolutely loved it. I spent most of the time playing rugby, studying, eating, drinking and chasing girls, until I was eventually asked to leave the country....

It is my home-away-from-home and I love going back (yes, I am allowed back in now).

Things I miss :
- The food – best food in the world and lots of it!
- The weather – really hot in summer, quite cold in winter.
- Playing rugby. - Because I was about the only one who could actually play, so I looked like a champion! (even though I am quite average)
- Mates – I made some great friends that I still keep in contact with daily, even though I left over 12 years ago and have barely been back since.
- The People – The whole time I was there, and every time I go back, I feel like I am in a Five-Star country. The people are nice and the service is always great.
- The Service – whether you are in Tiffany & Co or The Gap, or TGI Fridays or some exclusive restaurant, the service is almost always outstanding. You don’t find that very often here in Australia.
- The Girls - Very nice, loved my accent, but were disappointed when I informed them that "no I did not have a pet Koala" and "no I did not have a pet Kangaroo either"...
- Sport – there is live sport on TV nearly every day and or night of the year!

Things I DON’T miss :
- The food – if I still lived there, I’d be over 150kgs instead of about 75kgs (ok, maybe 80kgs).
- Dodgy Areas – unlike Australia, there were some areas that did make you feel a bit uneasy, even though nothing ever happened. A few guys did threaten to pull guns on us one night, but that was after we gave them shit - so I guess we sort of asked for it...

11 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

I love these kinds of posts.

...except now I'm hungry.

8:44 pm  
Blogger Enny said...

Why did you have to leave?

9:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people were nice because you were in the South. I live near Philly in the Northeast and people are jerks. I think they have to be in order to get the job.

9:49 pm  
Blogger Neily said...

I agree with basically everything you said except the girls expect me to be able to surf….and I cant. Although I say I can. Mwhahahah!

2:31 am  
Blogger The Exception said...

Well the pros out number the cons by far!

I think that Americans, in general, are nicer to those with accent than we are to those who talk like us. Sad, but true.

And you don't have a pet Kangaroo? What about a crocodile? ;)

3:14 am  
Blogger surfercam said...

JB - Well now we are even - your blog is constantly making me hungry!
Enny - something to do with working full-time when I shouldn't have been...
Deb - I think you might be right there.
Neily - I'll have to teach you.
Ex - True. No, no crocs... but I would love a wombat.

10:00 am  
Blogger Steph said...

The food? Oh lordy! I've never been but my sister worked there for a year and despised the food. Couldn't wait to get home and eat real, fresh, normal sized food.

1:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie, It may be hard to generalise but I've never found folks in the Northeast to be anything but pleasant.

Surfercam mentioned the dodgy areas. Once in LA and again in Page, AZ I had experiences that were right on the border between being begged at seriously, with near-threats and actually being mugged.

12:15 am  
Blogger Gledwood said...

She wears the American flag pretty well.

Re the things you miss: isn't American football just a gay-looking version of rugby? Or is that why you dont play it??


It's a shame service is bad in Aus I would never have imagined that ... then again you get bad service the world over ... I was in a bookshop yesterday a Chinese woman wanted the booklet you HAVE to buy if you're doing a driving test... it was not in stock but the ignorant fat woman was so dismissive and offhand I would have given her the push if I was her boss ...

hey ho

Great post ... did you know you've been in my links for about 3 months now..??

Come to my new Animal Crackers blog ... if you're interested it is full of entertaining youtube clips...

ok take it e.z.

all the best

gleds

8:11 am  
Blogger Max said...

Dad used to go to Dallas a lot too Cam for work and Cool River restaurant for massive steaks.

Says he saw the best bumper sticker in the world there....

something like ..."Texas scaring the shit out of the other 49 states for the last 200 years"
on the back of a big ute (truck/RV for our non aussies here) with gun racks all over it....

4:54 pm  
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

People in the service industry out here in California are generally super nice. There isn't a lot of job security- it's too easy to get canned for having a bad attitude!

3:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home