surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Dear Teachers,

Dear Teachers, would you please be kind enough and step into the REAL WORLD!!!

The other night I went to my first ever Parent / Teacher night.

The first hour was spent with teachers telling us about themselves and the school. Which also involved many many many PowerPoint presentations on crap that no one was paying attention to. At one point I nearly stood up and said “can you just print that off and give it to the parents who give a shit.”

I knew the night wasn’t going to go well before I even got there. Reading the invite it said “Parents must be there at 7pm sharp.” Only teachers would ever say something like that.

At the start of the proceedings the junior school principal looked at his watch, then tapped it and commenced the night with “if anybody has a watch like mine, then they will know it’s 7 o’clock and it’s time to start.”

Are you kidding me?

I think teachers need to realise that us adults don’t go to school, so don’t treat us like kids.

And where else in the world do you hear the words “compulsory attendance” and “your presence is mandatory”?

Only 13 more years of this shit to deal with….

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right there, I work in the admin section of a College and it never ceases to amaze me how very different teachers are from the rest of the real world!

9:46 am  
Blogger Jen said...

I speak for most teachers when I say that most of us hate that crap as much as you hate listening to it, but there are always some parents who want to know every minute details about us, the school and what happens in the classroom.

Everything we do at uni is basically about knowing what to do, but also being able to justify it until we are blue in the face.

As for speaking to everyone as if they are children, it is accidental. If you spend 8 hours a day, five days a week speaking to children or about children you get stuck in that mode sometimes.

10:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cunts who run the babe's day care speak to me like I'm three years old.

Until I remind them and say 'I'm not a fucken three year old you CUNT'

11:32 am  
Blogger surfercam said...

Anon - Glad you on my side.
Miss DJen - Yeah I can imagine 8 hours x 5 days of speaking to kids would do that to you.
Kitty - hahaha nice.

11:48 am  
Blogger Bo Bo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:47 pm  
Blogger Bo Bo said...

I had a teacher who tapped their watch and said the exact same thing.
Must be on the entrance exam.

A reply to this comment is MANDATORY.

1:48 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

Yes Mr Bo Bo....

2:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the parents at my kids school are so anal retentive they can't sit down for fear of sucking up the furniture. I wish the cool parents could have one quick meeting and then the rest of the tools could sit and discuss what qualifies as a healthy snack while I'm at the pub!!

2:39 pm  
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

are you kidding???
Teachers have to get out & play with adults more often.

7:26 am  
Blogger Ms Smack said...

Yeah I hear ya. We get that too.

9:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with D'jen- I'm a teacher and we hate a lot of the rigmarole as well.So I am with you on that one.
Unfortunately the reality is that so many parents are absolute tards who often either don't really care about their kids (or at least this is what teachers are led to believe from the astonishing lack of parenting skills, or poor judgement calls in certain situations)- you've probably witnessed it yourself with your own childrens peers and their parents relationships.
Because of this I believe it is extra difficult for the parents who want to do the right thing to bring up their children alongside these kids who seem to have the rule of the roost in their family.Many parents want to be their childs best friend (which is fine) but they need to know that many kids are crying out for a parent as well.

When I was younger I would often say my parents were soooo strict- however knowing what I know today (about what goes on in a teenagers life- sex, drugs, lack of respect for themselves and others, little motivation for many) I could only say that I now would be so much stricter if I was a parent.

The sad thing is that teaching has put me off having children of my own- I realise how difficult it is to bring up happy well-adjusted children in this social climate)

Gosh! I sound all doom and gloom - however it is something that has really hit me in my twenty years of teaching.
I realise my views won't be popular with everyone. Sorry for hijacking your comments.
Suz

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home