surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Uni

I hated Uni.
(University for all the non-Aussies out there who maybe lucky enough to stumble upon this site)
The only thing I learnt at Uni was how to surf – because most days when I was supposed to be going to Uni, I would wake up to beautiful Gold Coast weather, check to see if I had any ‘really important classes’ and then go straight to the beach.
I only failed 1 subject at Uni which was Accounting which I LOATHED (and still LOATHE) but so did about 80% of my class, so that makes it alright. Except I had to do the fucking subject again.
At the start of my final year I had 10 subjects to go – 5 per semester instead of 4. I had to get special permission to do an extra subject per semester.
I managed to pass all 5 subjects in Semester 1, gaining 50.5% in every subject. Halfway through Semester 2 I was fairly sure I was going to pass everything else and graduate, so I booked a ticket to go to London for 2 years – if I didn’t pass, I would have to fly back from London and re-do which ever subject(s) I’d fucked up. The pressure was well and truly on.
I did my exams and was glad to be out of there. A few weeks later, not knowing whether I’d even passed or not, but hoping to hell I had, I was en route to Heathrow via a few weeks in the USA and Mexico.
After several fun weeks holiday, clouded with the stress of did I or didn’t I pass, I finally called home.
I’d passed.
Thank God!
That was 10 years ago, and to this day, I often have nightmares that I have forgotten to hand in an assignment or forgotten to sit an exam, and thus failed Uni.

8 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Uni was fun. But I did a BA so it's a different story. I remember, mini pizzas and Earl Grey tea, cheap beers at the end of year, flirting with my French teacher, being hated by the French lesbian teacher with the perpetual sweaty armpits, being the class clown, refusing to wank on in art history, missing all lectures to watch Days of our Lives.

Congrats for passing!

2:32 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

You are a hero for doing 5 subjects a semester for a YEAR, I tried it for one semester and failed a subject (my first and only failure to date), I'm too scared to attempt it again.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who's super slack with uni, there is just always better things to do than show up to classes. I think surfing is a perfectly acceptable alternative to uni, you still have to wake up early except it's fantastic exercise, you get to spend some time at the beach and you get a killer tan.

Buying a ticket without knowing whether or not you've passed is something I'd do, sometimes you've just do what you've gotta do and leave the rest to work itself out (and thankfully it did, for you!)

3:13 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

Thanks Jules. Yeah I think that's what Uni should be about, but wasn't for me.
Thanks Jen. I tell you it wasn't easy. By no means am I an academic, I think it was the sheer willpower to get the hell out of there that motivated me.

5:06 pm  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

You are so like a guy that I did my nursing degree with named Angus, F*ck knows how he passed, coz he went off to Belles when the surf was up, alas he did pass!!!

5:40 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

Caz, it still amazes me.

9:12 am  
Blogger Original Mel said...

Heh, I used to go to uni, but not class. I'd sit in the bar all day getting pissed. My uni days were some of the best of my life.

Although quite often I'd wag to watch Passions. Quality teevee that was!

9:26 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Days of our Lives and Passions - what is it about uni that makes us addicted to the best worst TV!

9:31 am  
Blogger surfercam said...

Mel - If I ever have to go back to Uni, I'll be taken the same course you did - sounds great!
Julia - Luckily I never got sucked into that.

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home