surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Welcome to Indonesia

If the terrorists don’t kill you, there’s a good chance that an earthquake, plane crash or tsunami will. Humankind and mother nature are not the friendliest bunch in Indonesia.

It’s a shame really. I spent a couple of weeks there back in 2000 surfing some great waves, visiting some awesome places, learning their culture and drinking as much Bintang as I could keep down.

Apart from a guy on a motorcycle who pretended to shoot us with his pretend gun, every other Indonesian we came across we so friendly and loved us Aussies. We tried our best to fit in and by the end of our stay were having in-depth conversations in Indonesian with the locals – and they loved us for making the effort.

But since 2000, many things have changed and unfortunately I don’t think I would go back. It's a real shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mars said...

you wouldn't go back to indonesia because of a freak plane crash? or is it because you're in protest cause they've still got our schapelle?

10:50 am  
Blogger surfercam said...

Mars - I wouldn't go back because of all those things, and particularly because I have a young daughter.

5:21 pm  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

It is very sad isn't it? Yet I have met a good friend online, fellow blogger mate, and I worry for his safety and that of his family. Though, he assures me, all is well.

5:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home