surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Monday, March 26, 2007

I’m BIG in Japan….

… Well in someone’s lounge room when they get back from their holidays in Australia.

I got out of the surf yesterday morning and was waiting for two mates of mine to come in.
I stood there on the beach with my board standing next to me, and watch the beach walkers, locals, tourists, kids playing and lifeguards making themselves look ‘pretty’.
A Japanese couple took photos of themselves and then the lady walked over in my direction. Oh here we go.
“Scooze me! Scooze Me! Photo? Photo?”
“Ah, you want me to take your photo, ok,” I said. I had done it many times before. (I seem to have one of those faces that people must find comforting, because I am ALWAYS get asked for the time, directions to somewhere, or if I can take photos).
“No, no,” she said, then gestured that she wanted her photo taken with ME!
“Oh ok.” How embarrassing.
So there was me, my board and her on the other side while her partner took the photo. I smiled, said ‘hurry up’ in my head, and watched the beach walkers, locals, tourists and kids all stop and stare at us. I think they probably thought that I was some pro-surfer or something – which I am definitely not!
“Thank you, thank you,” she said politely, thanking me for the photo.
“No worries, enjoy,” I said, thinking ‘thank fuck that’s all over’.
But no.
Now it was his turn to have his photo taken with me…
When it was all over, I felt a little embarrassed, but they were stoked about it and probably made their day.
It was little effort to help them out and I'm sure when they go back to Japan, they will be showing all their friends back home that they met a ‘real surfer’…

7 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Dover said...

The most hysterical photo albums I've seen are from the Japanese. They're faces are in every single shot. Clearly they have no concept of photography as art.

That being said, I went to a private school and would hitch my skirt up before and after school, mostly while waiting on the side of the road waiting for the bus.

I'm from a tourist-y little town, so every afternoon the tourist buses would leave, and they would all take snaps of us standing in the bus bay with our uniforms.

10:01 am  
Blogger Del said...

hahaha thats so cute. You are right you probably made their day!!!

But yeh - I would be slightly embarassed too!!!

1:15 pm  
Blogger Julia said...

I had the same thing happen to me on an island in New Caledonia years and years ago. I was sunbaking nude in a completely remote spot when from nowhere "photo? Photo?". I quickly wrapped myself up and took their photo but they kept motionning for me to be in the photo, first with the lady and then the guy. A classic memory.

1:40 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

ED - you little flirt!
Del - was embarrassing but glad to help out.
Jules - I bet they wanted you to be in the photo!

4:35 pm  
Blogger Luli said...

Haha! I love Japanese tourists. God knows they're few and far between on the Gold Coast.

When I was in India, lots of Indian people would want to have they're photos taken with my friends and I. It was really odd. They would even say offer to pay us to appear in their family snaps. Needless to say, that is how I paid for my trip.

10:43 pm  
Blogger Luli said...

Sorry about my shit grasp of the English language in the last comment! I can spell. Nusually.

10:45 pm  
Blogger Julia said...

Luli that is hilarious!

5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home