surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Fiji Surf Trip

A mate of mine had put me in touch with an Aussie guy, Brian McDonald, who has built and owns a fabulous eco-resort in Fiji, called Matanivusi Surf Resort.
It was 40 mins from my hotel so I decided to hire a car.

After the woman from the car rental agency at the hotel tried to rip me off, I went next door and rented a car off the local Fiji-Indians. $80 Fijian Dollars per day, unlimited kilometres, no insurance required, no deposit required, CD Player (complete with Indian music CD’s) and room for my surfboard. Nice.

After an hour of driving I decided I was lost and called to find out how to get to Matanivusi. With new directions I set off again. And got lost again. With the aid of a local villager, he pointed me in the right direction and after making a few decisions – do I take the road to the left or the right – I finally made it to the beautiful and VERY secluded Matanivusi Resort.



I barely got the keys out of the ignition when I was whisked away by boat over the clearest bluest water, to our surfing destination – a reef about 15 minutes off shore.

Sitting in the crystal clear water waiting for swell, I could see tropical fish swimming under my board, and the coral reef less than 3 feet below me.

We surfed and snorkeled and then returned to Matanivusi.

The resort is amazing – the bures are five star and the bar area is fantastic. If you don’t want to go surfing, the view from the pool will keep you entertained all day.



If you’re looking for a great escape, I highly recommend staying here.
And please note, it’s not just for surfers either.

Check out more info and pics on Brian’s website : www.surfingfiji.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Aaaaaaaaaah, looks gorgeous!

I'm a sucker for the tropical island cliche.

12:55 pm  
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing pics. Wow!!!

4:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... clearest bluest water ...

--- still *green*

8:54 am  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

That looks bloody beautiful! Was it on the mainland? Pass on the resort details because that looks like a great place for my christmas holiday.

1:17 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

JB - very gorgeous!
t.a.b - no worries.
Mike - hahaha
KR - will do. Yes on the mainland.

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home