surfercam

Making the average day more interesting... That's me below in the green, snogging the Pig. We've all snogged a few pigs in our lives.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Garage Sale

On the weekend, we cleared out the house and had a Garage Sale.

What I’ve learnt (there may be some gross generalisations here, but I think I’m about 99% right, as always…).

Garage Sales :

- It is THE best way to get rid of all the crap in your house.
- And a great way to make some cash - $600 for the day.
- 'People' will buy the weirdest shit.
- Most people that come to garage sales are weird.
- If you advertise that it starts at 8am, people will turn up at 6.40am
- When you tell them to “fuck off and come back at 8am”, they will!
- People will haggle over $1.
- I do not give in.
- More Kiwis (New Zealanders) turned up than Aussies.
- Kiwis were charged more!
- Little old ladies were given discounts.
- Weirdest item I tried to sell – Macy Gray CD, without the actual CD in the case… (a) No idea why I would have her crap CD anyway. (b) No it didn’t sell.
- Favourite item I parted with – a key-chain hipflask that holds about 3 shots of whatever booze you like. Sold for $1.
- People get really offended by items they think are too highly priced.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trick with the 6:40am crowd is to not advertise your whole address, just the street name. Put signs up around the suburb the night before; but don't put the sign up outside your house until you are good and ready at 8am.

11:05 pm  
Blogger surfercam said...

Mike - I put an ad in the paper saying 8am and didn't put the street signs out until 8am.
But by 8am, we'd had over 100 people stop by!

11:42 am  
Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

garage salers get up early, man! What's up with that? I haven't been to one in years... but I'd really like a shiny used hip flask.

1:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home